(Columbia, SC) –After 80 years at the corner of Harden and Read Street in downtown Columbia, the old Allen Benedict Court site is being prepared for demolition. Complete Demolition Services, Inc, the project’s demolition contractor, is on site this week to erect temporary fencing around the perimeter of the property to allow the work to begin. The following is a projected 4 to 5-month timeline for the demolition project.
Our intent is to keep the public fully informed through the demolition, public input, and redevelopment phases of the project.Ivory Mathews, Columbia Housing CEO
Demolition Schedule for Allen Benedict Court
- Temporary Perimeter Fencing is currently going up on the Allen Benedict Court site in preparation for demolition services.
- During the week of July 5th Environmental Remediation begins. During this process, contractors work to remove asbestos and lead from the properties. This process typically takes a few weeks.
- Beginning in mid-July (the week of July 12 is the target date) actual Demolition Crews and Heavy Equipment arrive on-site to begin initial phase of raising buildings on the Allen Benedict Court site.
- During the month of August, installation of Sidewalks, Concrete, Seeding and Grassing for the 16-acre lot gets underway.
- Demolition is expected to be completed at the end of November.
“Our intent is to keep the public fully informed through the demolition, public input, and redevelopment phases of the project,” says Columbia Housing CEO Ivory Mathews. “Allen Benedict Court means so much to so many, and we realize there is tremendous interest in the project and the future of the property,” concludes Mathews.