(Columbia, SC) – Flock and Rally, the women-led integrated communications firm based in Columbia, S.C., was honored with a “Best in Show” Mercury Award 2017 for the Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C. campaign. The firm earned eight other awards across five projects from the South Carolina chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (SCPRSA) at the organization’s May 3, 2018 ceremony.
The firm and its project partners earned Mercury Awards and Silver Wing Awards for the following campaigns:
Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.
When Columbia, S.C. was identified as a leading total eclipse viewing destination, Merritt McNeely, then marketing director at the S.C. State Museum, galvanized regional officials and tourism experts to create a massive campaign to raise awareness of the region, not only for eclipse visitors, but for year-round tourism too. With local firm Flock and Rally and its project partners, the Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C. steering committee developed a campaign that contributed to drawing roughly 400,000 visitors and $48 million to the Midlands region.
The Flock and Rally team shares the following four awards with the Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C. steering committee (co-chair Merritt McNeely; co-chair Tom Falvey and the South Carolina State Museum team; Kelly Barbrey and the Experience Columbia S.C. team including Andrea Mensink, Renee Chow, Kelsey Carmichael and Holly Heaton; Lee Snelgrove and One Columbia for the Arts & History; Miriam Atria, Jayne Baker and Capital City Lake Murray Country; City of Columbia Councilman Howard Duvall and the City of Columbia team), as well as project partners Cait Maloney Creative and Period Three web design.
- SCPRSA Best in Show Mercury Award: Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.
- SCPRSA Mercury Award of Excellence, Integrated Communications: Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.
- SCPRSA Mercury Award of Excellence, Events and Observances, Seven Days or Fewer: Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.
- SCPRSA Silver Wing Award of Excellence, Press Kits: Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, S.C.
The Green Book of South Carolina, presented by the S.C. African American Heritage Commission
The S.C. African American Heritage Commission hired Flock and Rally to create a new brand, mobile web travel guide and publicity campaign for The Green Book of South Carolina, the first-ever mobile web travel guide to 300+ African American cultural sites across S.C. With a diverse team of project partners, Flock and Rally focused on a tourism-first social media and public relations campaign that resulted in coverage by NBC BLK, Essence and more.
- SCPRSA Mercury Award of Merit, Marketing Consumer Services: The Green Book of South Carolina – The Flock and Rally team shares this award with the South Carolina African American Heritage Commission, along with project partners Cait Maloney Creative, Sherard Duvall/OTR Media Group, Jessica Boyd/The Gild Agency, Kaela Harmon and Period Three web design.
- The Green Book of South Carolina also recently won a “Shining Example” Award in Niche Marketing from the Southeast Tourism Society. The award, one of only 14 awarded annually to tourism projects and destination marketing organizations (DMOs) across the Southeastern United States, was presented in Myrtle Beach, S.C. on April 24, 2018 and is shared between the S.C. African American Heritage Commission, Flock and Rally, and the project partners noted above.
Columbia Open Studios, presented by 701 Center for Contemporary Art
701 Center for Contemporary Art is a nonprofit contemporary visual art center, gallery and artist-in-residence program in Columbia, S.C. Each year, the organization hosts Columbia Open Studios, a self-led tour of artists’ working studios across the region. Flock and Rally develops the branding and integrated communications campaign for the tour. Branding featuring the work of local artist Cait Maloney has become central to this campaign and guidebook.
- SCPRSA Mercury Award of Excellence, Integrated Communications: Columbia Open Studios 2017 – The Flock and Rally team shares this award with the 701 CCA team and Cait Maloney Creative.
- SCPRSA Silver Wing Award of Excellence, Print Brochures: Columbia Open Studios 2017 Guidebook – Rachel Carter, project manager at Flock and Rally, shares this award with Cait Maloney Creative and the 701 CCA team.
Produced in-house by Flock and Rally, Crafty Feast is the Midlands’ largest independent, juried craft fair, welcoming 2,700 guests each December. Hosting roughly 100 makers from across the Southeast, Crafty Feast specializes in unique handmade goods. Demand for non-traditional gifts is strong, and Crafty Feast’s target demo is a direct overlap with Etsy users. Flock and Rally utilized targeted social media marketing to connect with its Etsy-loving audience in the Midlands, resulting in high engagement and great attendance.
- SCPRSA Silver Wing Award of Merit, Social Media: Crafty Feast – Meg Stith, senior integrated communications manager at Flock and Rally, shares this award with the Flock and Rally team.
Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Motor Supply Co. Bistro has tasked Flock and Rally with keeping them at top of mind with Midlands diners since 2011. Flock and Rally launched a digital newsletter for Motor Supply in late 2014 to provide patrons with an insider experience. The best blog content, events and press wins are selected for email marketing. Similar content is shared via social media as well, to drive traffic to Motor Supply’s website and social media channels.
- SCPRSA Silver Wing Award of Excellence, Digital Newsletters: Motor Supply Co. Bistro – Ashley Cady, integrated communications manager at Flock and Rally, shares this award with the teams at Flock and Rally and Motor Supply.
Flock and Rally’s staff includes Debi Schadel and Tracie Broom, co-founding partners; Merritt McNeely, VP of marketing; Meg Stith, senior integrated communications manager; Rachel Carter, integrated communications manager; Ashley Cady, integrated communications manager; and Hailey Covell, integrated communications associate, as well as press archivist Denise Stahl Shealy and an array of professionals who lend their talents to the firm’s projects. Flock and Rally works with clients in sectors ranging from tourism, lifestyle, hospitality and nonprofits to education, tech, business, economic development and more. Learn more about Flock and Rally at http://www.flockandrally.com.