(Columbia, SC) – Palmetto AIDS Life Support Services (PALSS) invites you to be part of a live studio audience on Sunday, December 1, 2019, for a town hall meeting that will also be broadcast live online and on the radio. The town hall meeting will begin at 5:30 PM at the Cecil Tillis Center at 2111 Simpkins Lane in Columbia. Cynthia Hardy from OnPoint! with Cynthia Hardy, will moderate a panel that includes people with lived HIV experience, and take questions from the in-person, radio and online audiences. Part of the town hall will be broadcast live on WWDM from 6 PM until 7 PM.
The panelists will discuss several topics including the importance of HIV/STI/Hepatitis testing and screening, the importance of knowing your status, PrEP engagement in care and the impact of HIV/STI/HEP in our communities.
December 1st, World AIDS Day, is observed around the country and in Columbia, as coordinated by PALSS.
“Communities make the difference” is the theme of this year’s observance. Here are some important facts about HIV/AIDS in our state.
- South Carolina ranks 11th in the nation in the rate of new HIV cases annually.
- The CDC in Atlanta considers us one of the top 10 “Hot Spots” in the nation.
- Our capital, Columbia ranks 6th in the nation among large metropolitan areas in the rate of new HIV cases.
- Our 3 major metro areas are among the nation’s top 50.
- An estimated 40 million people worldwide have died of AIDS since 1981, and an estimated 37 million are living with HIV, making it one of the most important global public health issues in recorded history.
PALSS is proud to partner with national and statewide stakeholders, including SC DHEC, to reduce HIV/AIDS-related disparities in South Carolina. We are one of only 32 organizations across the country to receive the 2019 COMPASS Initiative® Grant from the COMPASS Coordinating Centers, to reduce the stigma associated with behavioral/mental health and increase access to trauma-informed care.
Since 1985, PALSS has helped South Carolinians fight the war against HIV and AIDS. Palmetto AIDS Life Support Services provides education, health, housing and human services to persons living with and communities affected by HIV and AIDS. We offer confidential services including HIV/STI testing, prevention training, counseling and housing case management. For more information, call 803-779-7257, follow us on Twitter at PALSS SC or friend us at www.facebook.com/PALSS. You can also visit us at www.palss.org.